We offer art therapy at our Family Centres located in Brookvale and Waitara. Our therapists are registered with ANZACATA – the peak professional association for creative arts therapies.
In addition to the group below, we also offer 1:1 sessions. For individual art therapy sessions, the cost is $130 full fee, $50 concession, or as per the NDIS price guide.
REGAINING SELF THROUGH ART
This is an art therapy group for women. No artistic skills are required just an interest in the creative process. This group is a supportive and non-judgemental space where you can explore your creative side whilst also giving expression to feelings, thoughts and future hopes.
A variety of art materials will be supplied, and themes may be explored through the creative process supporting a safe connection to self and others in the group.
This program runs from the following locations:
- Waitara Family Centre – Mondays 1.00 – 3.00pm starting 9 October (for 6 weeks)
- Central Coast Family Centre Tuggerah – Tuesdays 1.00 – 3.00pm starting 10 October (for 6 weeks)
The cost for the 6 week package is $300 or $150 concession. If you have NDIS funding, this will cover these sessions.
Please email email@example.com to register your interest.
Art therapy utilises art making to express thoughts and feelings that may be difficult to put into words. The Art Therapist provides a supportive environment in which the process of making art can help to explore issues in creative ways as well as developing a deeper connection with our inner world. It is a form of psychotherapy that utilises art making to express thoughts and feelings that may be difficult to put into words. The Art Therapist provides a supportive environment in which the process of making art can help you explore issues in creative ways as well as developing a deeper connection with your inner world.
Some of the benefits to art therapy are:
- Increase communication skills
- Reduce stress
- Increase self-esteem
- Support personal insight
- Explore imagination and creativity
- Learn new skills
- Connect with your own strengths
Not at all, no art skills are necessary just some curiosity about the creative process. People with any level of interest in art can use art therapy. The aim is not to make ‘good’ pictures but to create something that is a personal expression.
- Our intention is to provide a supportive and non-judgmental space to explore your creative side whilst also giving expression to feelings, thoughts and future hopes.
- Art therapy sessions are two hours long, which include time for a group check-in, art making and sharing at the end.
- Regular attendance will produce the maximum benefits. This consistency helps build a trusting relationship with the group.
- A variety of art materials will be supplied, and themes may be explored through the creative process supporting a safe connection to self and others in the group.
- The aim of the group is to explore personal insight and connection whilst also developing your creative skills.
- We do not provide crisis support. In case of crisis, you can contact:
Mental Health Line 1800 011 511
Lifeline 13 11 14
Beyond Blue 1300 224 636
- We will not judge your art making and creative process. In art therapy there is no right or wrong way to create or to use the art materials. The art materials are used as a means of self-expression, and the artwork is considered a form of communication. The purpose of art therapy is not art itself, but art as a way of understanding more about yourself.
- We will not interpret your artwork. We understand that each individual brings their own cultural influences and personal experiences to their creative process. We work in a collaborative manner aimed at empowering you to discover your own meaning-making.
- Art therapy does not rely on artistic knowledge or ability. It works by accessing imagination and creativity – qualities which all human beings possess! Usefulness of art therapy does not depend on someone having talent in art. It’s for anyone who is curious about the art materials and the creative process!
- We ask that you arrive at your session in time.
- If cancellation is necessary, we require you notify the therapist as a way to show respect for the group.
- To keep the artwork and discussions of others in the art therapy group confidential.
- We ask that all group members are treated with respect, dignity and fairness.
- We ask that all artworks created in the group are treated with respect, dignity and fairness.
- We ask you to be part of a supporting and non-judgmental environment.
- We ask you to assist with pack down/cleaning.