Supported Independent Living Banner

Take steps towards your independent living goals

We are excited to be expanding our work within the Supported Independent Living (SIL) environment! Our team provides tailored 24/7 support and supervision of daily tasks to develop your skills so you can live as independently as possible. These supports include:

  • Personal care activities provided with dignity, compassion and respect
  • Daily living skills such as preparing meals, cooking and cleaning
  • Medication management and administration
  • Help with household tasks
  • Activities to develop your social skills
  • Personal safety and security
  • Help with medical appointments including transportation
  • Assistance with behaviour support plans
  • Community access such as shopping, meeting with friends and family and social outings.

Funding allows you to be supported by a team of trained carers who understand your goals and who will support you to develop independence in achieving these goals.

For more information:
P: (02) 9488 2500


All of CatholicCare’s Supported Independent Living staff are trained and have experience with the following:

  • Daily living tasks
  • Domestic duties
  • Providing high intensity/complex supports
  • Positive behaviour supports and restrictive practice
  • Mental health support.
Support Coordination CTA

take the next step towards independence

Please let us know how we can help you. We have staff on standby to take your call.

Frequently Asked Questions

I am not Catholic, can I still access your service?

Yes, our service is open to all.

What is Supported Independent Living (SIL)?

SIL is the assistance you receive at home from support workers. The goal is to help you live as independently as possible. It can include physical supports such as helping you get in and out of bed every day, as well as any support you need to keep you safe at home. The SIL provider is the person or organisation that employs the support workers that help you.

Where do I need to live to be eligible for SIL?

Eligibility for SIL funding is not dependent on where you live. You may be eligible for SIL funding whether you rent privately, own your own home, live with others, or live in a Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) property.

What are the three levels of SIL funding?

  1. Low needs: Regular supervision of living arrangements.
  2. Standard needs: Active assistance of most daily tasks, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  3. High needs: Continual and more complex active assistance to the individual.

What is Special Disability Accommodation (SDA)?

SDA refers to the physical ‘bricks and mortar’ of disability accommodation. Only people who have very high physical support or safety needs are eligible for SDA funding from the NDIS. SDA funding allows residents to pay rent to the person or organisation who owns the SDA building where they reside.

What are the five levels of SDA?

To determine which level you are eligible for, your Support Coordinator will arrange for you to receive an OT Functional Assessment and other assessments if required to support your application. They will then help you apply to the NDIS for an assessment of your individual SDA level. The five levels are:

  1. Basic: Housing without special design features but in a location or with features that cater for the needs of people with disability and assist with the delivery of support services.
  2. Improved liveability: Housing that has been designed to improve ‘liveability’. This includes a reasonable level of physical access and some features for people with sensory, intellectual or cognitive impairment such as luminance contrasts, improved wayfinding or lines of sight for people with sensory, intellectual or cognitive impairment.
  3. Fully accessible: Housing with a high level of accessibility for people with significant physical impairment, allowing wheelchair access to the bathroom, kitchen and external areas.
  4. Robust: Housing that allows for good physical access and designed to be very resilient and safe. The design must include retreat areas for participants and staff, and the materials used must be impact resistant and reduce the need for repairs and maintenance.
  5. High physical support: Housing that has been designed to incorporate a high level of physical accessibility for people with significant physical impairment and requiring very high levels of support. New buildings must have structural provision for ceiling hoists, be assistive and communication technology ready, and have emergency power solutions and wider than usual door openings.

How can I apply for SIL and SDA funding in my NDIS plan?

Applying for SIL and SDA funding is complex, and we recommend engaging a Support Coordinator (link to our SC page). Your Support Coordinator will explore all housing options to identify the right housing to suit your individual goals and care needs. They will also help you gather all the evidence (including OT Functional Assessments and other specialist reports) to demonstrate the level of funded supports you need.

What does SIL funding cover?

SIL funding pays for all on-site care services provided to you within the home. These include transfers in and out of bed, to and from a wheelchair (if required), toileting, showering, dressing and grooming, laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping and meal preparation, meal time assistance etc.

What does SDA funding cover?

NDIS SDA funding pays the SDA provider to provide and look after the ‘bricks and mortar’ of homes where CatholicCare residents live. The SDA provider is the owner/property manager of the home. They are responsible for repairs and maintenance of the home. SDA is funded by the NDIS under ‘Capital Supports’ and is paid directly to the housing provider by the NDIS.

What expenses do residents pay from their Disability Support Pension?

Living Expenses:
50% of the participant’s Disability Support Pension + 100 Energy Allowances Living Expenses direct debit to CatholicCare Diocese of Broken Bay. This covers:

  • Shared groceries (if the client uses the medically prescribed meal replacement, then the contribution will be reduced according to their individual circumstances)
  • Household cleaning products
  • Council, water, electricity bills
  • Access to whitegoods and laundry facilities
  • Furniture and furnishing in the common areas.

Rent Contribution:
25% of the participant’s Disability Support Pension + 25% of the Pension supplement + 100% of Commonwealth Rent Assistance. Rent is payable to a 3rd party or direct debit to CatholicCare Diocese of Broken Bay. This covers:

  • Reasonable repairs and maintenance (excluding repairs that can be directly attributed to damage by the resident)
  • Building insurance (where applicable by ownership of lease condition).

Latest NDIS & Supported independent living news

Mark has greater control

It's been a year of change and growth for Mark, who is a proud resident of our Supported Independent Living house in Wahroonga. Upon being asked what he most enjoys about living at Kokoda House, Mark says, “everything!”

Read More

Let’s talk about invisible disabilities

When you think of the word, ‘disability’ what do you see? Perhaps you envision someone in a wheelchair, or a person walking with a cane. The reality is that for 90% of people living with a disability in Australia, their disability is invisible.

Read More

NDIS support changes everything for the Mockler family

Four years ago, life looked very different for the Mockler household. Without support via the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) they were managing, but only just.

Read More

Making the world better and fairer for those living with disability #IDPWD23

1 in 6 Australians are living with a disability - that’s 4.4 million people. Disability can be related to genetic disorders, illnesses, accidents, ageing, injuries or a combination of these factors. In recent years there has been an increase in the number of people for whom their main form of disability is mental or behavioural.  

Read More