Disability Accomodation SDA banner

CatholicCare has partnered with a number of well regarded Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) developers and housing providers to offer participants Supported Independent Living supports within modern state-of-the-art properties.

These funded supports include:

  • Supports that build people’s capacity to live independently in the community, to improve their living skills, money and household management capability, social and communication skills and positive behaviours
  • Support with personal care, such as assistance with showering, dressing and grooming
  • Help around the home where the participant is unable to undertake these tasks due to their disability, such as assistance with cleaning and laundry
  • Community access with specialised transport … and more.

The term Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) refers to the physical ‘bricks and mortar’ of disability accommodation. Only people who have very high physical support or safety needs are eligible for SDA funding from the NDIS. SDA funding allows residents to pay rent to the person or organisation who owns the SDA building where they reside.

Supported Independent Living (SIL) funding allows you to be supported by a team of trained carers within these SDA properties. These carers understand your goals and support you to develop independence.

For more information:
P: (02) 9488 2500
E: disabilityfutures@catholiccaredbb.org.au


All of CatholicCare’s Supported Independent Living staff are trained and have experience with the following:

  • Daily living tasks
  • Domestic duties
  • High complex health support
  • High intensity support skills
  • Positive behaviour supports and restrictive practice
  • Mental health support.
Support Coordination CTA

take the next step towards independence

Please let us know how we can help you. We have staff on standby to take your call.

Frequently Asked Questions

I am not Catholic, can I still access your service?

Yes, our service is open to all.

What is Supported Independent Living (SIL)?

SIL is the assistance you receive at home from support workers. The goal is to help you live as independently as possible. It can include physical supports such as helping you get in and out of bed every day, as well as any support you need to keep you safe at home. The SIL provider is the person or organisation that employs the support workers that help you.

Where do I need to live to be eligible for SIL?

Eligibility for SIL funding is not dependent on where you live. You may be eligible for SIL funding whether you rent privately, own your own home, live with others, or live in a Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) property.

What are the three levels of SIL funding?

  1. Low needs: Regular supervision of living arrangements.
  2. Standard needs: Active assistance of most daily tasks, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  3. High needs: Continual and more complex active assistance to the individual.

What is Special Disability Accommodation (SDA)?

SDA refers to the physical ‘bricks and mortar’ of disability accommodation. Only people who have very high physical support or safety needs are eligible for SDA funding from the NDIS. SDA funding allows residents to pay rent to the person or organisation who owns the SDA building where they reside.

What are the five levels of SDA?

To determine which level you are eligible for, your Support Coordinator will arrange for you to receive an OT Functional Assessment and other assessments if required to support your application. They will then help you apply to the NDIS for an assessment of your individual SDA level. The five levels are:

  1. Basic: Housing without special design features but in a location or with features that cater for the needs of people with disability and assist with the delivery of support services.
  2. Improved liveability: Housing that has been designed to improve ‘liveability’. This includes a reasonable level of physical access and some features for people with sensory, intellectual or cognitive impairment such as luminance contrasts, improved wayfinding or lines of sight for people with sensory, intellectual or cognitive impairment.
  3. Fully accessible: Housing with a high level of accessibility for people with significant physical impairment, allowing wheelchair access to the bathroom, kitchen and external areas.
  4. Robust: Housing that allows for good physical access and designed to be very resilient and safe. The design must include retreat areas for participants and staff, and the materials used must be impact resistant and reduce the need for repairs and maintenance.
  5. High physical support: Housing that has been designed to incorporate a high level of physical accessibility for people with significant physical impairment and requiring very high levels of support. New buildings must have structural provision for ceiling hoists, be assistive and communication technology ready, and have emergency power solutions and wider than usual door openings.

How can I apply for SIL and SDA funding in my NDIS plan?

Applying for SIL and SDA funding is complex, and we recommend engaging a Support Coordinator (link to our SC page). Your Support Coordinator will explore all housing options to identify the right housing to suit your individual goals and care needs. They will also help you gather all the evidence (including OT Functional Assessments and other specialist reports) to demonstrate the level of funded supports you need.

What does SIL funding cover?

SIL funding pays for all on-site care services provided to you within the home. These include transfers in and out of bed, to and from a wheelchair (if required), toileting, showering, dressing and grooming, laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping and meal preparation, meal time assistance etc.

What does SDA funding cover?

NDIS SDA funding pays the SDA provider to provide and look after the ‘bricks and mortar’ of homes where CatholicCare residents live. The SDA provider is the owner/property manager of the home. They are responsible for repairs and maintenance of the home. SDA is funded by the NDIS under ‘Capital Supports’ and is paid directly to the housing provider by the NDIS.

What expenses do residents pay from their Disability Support Pension?

Living Expenses:
50% of the participant’s Disability Support Pension + 100 Energy Allowances Living Expenses direct debit to CatholicCare Diocese of Broken Bay. This covers:

  • Shared groceries (if the client uses the medically prescribed meal replacement, then the contribution will be reduced according to their individual circumstances)
  • Household cleaning products
  • Council, water, electricity bills
  • Access to whitegoods and laundry facilities
  • Furniture and furnishing in the common areas.

Rent Contribution:
25% of the participant’s Disability Support Pension + 25% of the Pension supplement + 100% of Commonwealth Rent Assistance. Rent is payable to a 3rd party or direct debit to CatholicCare Diocese of Broken Bay. This covers:

  • Reasonable repairs and maintenance (excluding repairs that can be directly attributed to damage by the resident)
  • Building insurance (where applicable by ownership of lease condition).


Mark has greater control

It's been a year of change and growth for Mark, who is a proud resident of our Supported Independent Living house in Wahroonga. Upon being asked what he most enjoys about living at Kokoda House, Mark says, “everything!”

Read More

Living independently and kicking goals at Woods Cottage

When you first set foot into Woods Cottage – whoever you are – you are treated like an old friend. Part of CatholicCare’s Supported Independent Living Program, Woods Cottage provides individualised, in-home support to adults living with a disability. Alison, Susie, Jo, and Kay reside at Woods Cottage, and they couldn’t be prouder of their home.

Read More

Gaining independence and flourishing with our Supported Independent Living homes

For adults living with disability, it can be a challenge to gain independence while still receiving the support needed to flourish in life. That’s where Supported Independent Living can provide a solution.

Read More